DEPARTMENT OF PHYSIOLOGY
The Department of Physiology was established in 1993 and at present has a staff strength of 10 academic and 6 non-academic staff members.
Participation in Undergraduate Training Programmes
We participate in the following degree programmes.
- B.Sc. (Human Biology) – General and Special
- B.Sc. (Nursing)
- B.Sc. (Pharmacy)
- B.Sc. (Medical Laboratory Sciences)
Lectures, practicals, tutorials and small group discussions are conducted regularly by the academic staff members for the above mentioned degree programmes.
The department is located on the fourth floor of the Library building. It comprises a student laboratory that can accommodate up to 75 students during practical sessions. The department is fully equipped with light microscopes, ECG machines, an EEG machine, ENG machine, osmometer, perimeter, spirometer, spectrophotometer and multimedia facilities.
Services to the Community
The department provides free diagnostic services to the Professorial Units at the Colombo South Teaching Hospital and the Family Practice Centre at the Faculty of Medical Sciences.
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Electro Neurogram (ENG)
- Electromyogram (EMG)
- Electroencephalogram (EEG)
- Urine Osmolality Testing
- Lung Function Tests
University Research Grant
- Role of large bowel fermentation; its role in gut hormone release in appetite control (2006-2008).
- Gastro oesophageal reflux among acute non cardiac chest pain patients (2006-2008).
- Cognitive function tests in Anaemic Adolescents A Sri Lankan Study (2005-2008).
- The effect of overseas maternal employment on the executive functions of children (2005-2008).
- Menopausal symptoms, quality of life, postural balance and cognitive functions in a community based population of Sri Lankan women (2005-2008).