Dr. Nilanka Perera
Senior Lecturer Grade II and Consultant Physician
Department of Medicine
Office - +94 11 2881788 Ext: 4301
- MRCP (UK): 2015
Memberships in Professional Organizations
- Member of Royal College of Physicians, London: 2015 to date
- Member of Ceylon College of Physicians
- Member of Sri Lanka College of Internal Medicine
- Member of National Science Foundation
- Member of Sri Lanka Medical Association
- 2007 Professor M.T.M.Jiffry Gold Medal for best performance at Final MBBS
- 2007 Professor Dayasiri Fernando gold medal for best performance in Surgery at Final MBBS
- 2007 Gold Medal for Clinical Paediatrics for best performance in Paediatric at Final MBBS
- 2013 John F Stokes gold medal for best performance in MD (Medicine)
- 2013 P.T. De Silva gold medal for best performance in the clinical component of MD
- 2015 Commonwealth scholarship for PhD at University of Oxford
- Infectious diseases
- Infectious diseases
- Host responses in infections (ER stress)
ORCID ID and Link
Google Scholar Link
Research Gate Link
Research Grants Held
- CCP research grant by Ceylon College of Physicians worth LKR 500,000 (2022)
- University research grant worth LKR 3 million (2022)
Publications and Scientific Communications
Indexed Journals (SCI expanded/Scopus/Embase)
- N Perera, J L Miller, N Zitzmann. The role of the unfolded protein response in dengue virus pathogenesis. Cell Micobiol 2017; 19 (5). doi 1111/cmi.12734
- N Perera, J Brun, DS Alonzi, BE Tyrrell, JL Miller, N Zitzmann. Antiviral effects of deoxynojirimycin (DNJ)-based iminosugars in dengue virus-infected primary dendritic cells. Antiviral Research 199, 105269. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.antiviral.2022.105269
- A Sayce, F Martinez Estrada, B Tyrrell, N Perera, M Hill, R Dwek, J Miller, N Zitzmann. Pathogen-induced inflammation is attenuated by the iminosugar MON-DNJ via modulation of the unfolded protein response. Immunology 2021 Jul 20. doi 10.1111/imm.13393
- N Perera, A de Silva, M Kumbukage, R Rambukwella, J Indrakumar. Neutrophil Lymphocyte Ratio as a Marker of In-Hospital Deterioration in COVID-19: Observations from a resource constraint setting. Clinical Pathology 15, 2632010X221090898. https://doi.org/10.1177/2632010X221090898
- N Perera, J Miller, N Zitzmann. The Effect of Dengue Viral Infection on the Unfolded Protein Response in Primary Macrophages. International Journal of Infectious Diseases 116, S127
- Chandimani M Undugodage, Upul Dissanayake, ………………, Nilanka Perera. Reactogenicity to ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 Vaccine in healthcare workers: A Multicenter Observational Study in Sri Lanka. Ceylon Medical Journal 2021: 66(4). Pre-print from SSRN. DOI: 10.2139/ssrn.3845379.
- PMW Madanayake, AEU Jayawardena, SL Wijekoon, N Perera, JKP Wanigasuriya. Fluid requirement in adult dengue haemorrhagic fever patients during the critical phase of the illness: an observational study. BMC Infectious diseases 2021 (1): 1-6. doi.org/10.1186/s12879-021-05971-6.
- A Bandara, G Kalaivarny, N Perera, J Indrakumar. Aseptic meningitis as the initial presentation of Leptospira borgpetersenii serovar Tarassovi: two case reports and a literature review. BMC infectious diseases 21 (1), 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12879-021-06200-w.
- D.Perera, K.M.Bandara, I.R.Ranasinghe, S.B.Gunatilake. Comparison of risk factors, severity and outcome between lacunar and non-lacunar stroke in a tertiary care center in Sri Lanka: A descriptive study. Ceylon Medical journal 2015; 60:103-106. DOI 10.4038/cmj.v60i3.8190
- N Perera, J Indrakumar, W.V.Abeysinghe, V.Fernando, W.M.C.K. Samaraweera, J.S.Lawrence. Non alcoholic fatty liver disease increases the mortality from acute coronary syndrome: an observational study from Sri Lanka. BMC Cardiovascular disorders 2016; 16:37. DOI 10.1186/s12872-016-0212-8
- G.A. Rathnamali, G. Samarajiwa, D.D.K. Abeyratne, G.N.D. Perera, S.B. Gunatilake. Acute kidney injury following ingestion of plate developer (sodium metasilicate): a case report. BMC research notes 2016; 9:412. Doi 10.1186/s13104-016-2225-x
- J Pushpa kumara, T Prasath, G Samarajiwa, S Priyadarshani, N Perera, J Indrakumar. Myocarditis causing severe heart failure – an unusual early manifestation of leptospirosis: a case report. BMC Research notes 2015; 8:80. DOI 10.1186/s13104-015-1031-1.
- G N D Perera, D A S Jayasinghe, L D Dias, A Kulatunga. Bronchiectasis and hoarseness of voice in Takayasu arteritis: A rare presentation. BMC Research Notes 2012;5:447
- N Perera. Diagnosis of COVID-19: The present and the future. Journal of the Ceylon College of Physicians 2020;51(1): 48-52. org/10.4038/jccp.v51i1.7887
- N.D. Perera, V.Navarathnarajah, W.G.C.Pradeep, W.D.D.Priyankara, A.Kulatunga. Assessment of factors relating to screening of diabetes complications in patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus during follow up: A descriptive study in Sri Lanka. Journal of diabetology 2015; 3:1
- B.Gunatilake, N.D. Perera, K.M.Bandara, A.U.Pathirana, A.G.S.Asiri, M.TM.Riffsy. Non motor symptoms in patients with Parkinson disease: experience from a tertiary care center in Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka Journal of Neurology 2014; 3:5-11
- G N D Perera, L D Dias, A Kulatunga, E Corea, J Masakorala. A case Report of Melioidosis. Sri Lankan Journal of Infectious Diseases.2(1) 2012: 47-51
- G N D Perera, A Kulatunga, D N Samarasekera. Prosthetic valve endocarditis precipitating bleeding from small bowel angiodysplasia: A case report. Galle Medical Journal 2012;vol 17(2): 37-38
- Nilanka Perera. Picture Quiz. Journal of the Ceylon college of physicians 2013; 44-47. DOI 4038/jccp. v44i1-2.7701
Abstract Presentations at Scientific Sessions
- Nilanka Perera, Joanna L Miller, Nicole Zitzmann. The effect of dengue viral infection on the unfolded protein response in primary macrophages. International meeting on emerging diseases and surveillance, International Society for Infectious diseases (2021).
- Nilanka Perera, J L Miller, N Zitzmann. The antiviral effects of iminosugars on dengue virus infected monocyte-derived dendritic cells. 5th Pandengue conference, Galveston, USA (2018).
- Nilanka Perera, J L Miller, N Zitzmann. The antiviral effects of 2THO DNJ, EOO DNJ, NN DNJ and NN DGJ on dengue virus infected dendritic cells. 2nd International Meeting on Arbovirus and vectors (IMAV), Glasgow, UK (2017).
- S B Gunatilake, G N D Perera, K M Bandara, A U Pathirana, A G S Asiri, M T M Riffsy. Non Motor Symptoms in Patients with Parkinson Disease: Experience from a Tertiary Care Center in Sri Lanka. Proceedings of the 14th Asian Oceanian Congress of Neurology, Macao (2014).
- S B Gunatilake, G N D Perera, K M Bandara, A U Pathirana, A G S Asiri, M T M Riffsy. Demographic Factors and Patient Characteristics in Parkinson Disease: An Observational Study in Sri Lanka. Proceedings of the 14th Asian Oceanian Congress of Neurology, Macao (2014).
- G N D Perera, K M Bandara, I Ranasinghe, S B Gunatilake. Comparison of risk factors, severity and outcome between Lacunar and non-Lacunar stroke. Proceedings of the 14th Asian Oceanian Congress of Neurology, Macao (2014).
Research Presentations at Scientific Meetings in Sri Lanka
- Perera N, Kumar A, Gangadharan B, Wijewickrama A, Malavige GN, Miller J L, Zitzmann N. Identifying host markers of dengue disease severity: a mass spectrometry based approach. 5th Annual congress, Sri Lanka College of Internal Medicine (2021).
- Incidental Diagnosis of Strongyloidiasis in A Patient with Hepatic Metastasis: A Report of a Missed Case at The Time of a Pandemic. Weerasekera CJ, Menike CW, Senevirathne SAA, Perera GND, De Silva NR, Wickramasinghe DR. Proceedings of the Annual Academic sessions, Sri Lanka College of Oncologists (2021).
- Sahan Kavinda, Mohamed Atheeb, Hansani Rathnasekara, Nilanka Perera, Udaya Wijenayake, Uditha Wijewardhana. Patient monitoring and alerting system. Proceedings of the 134th Anniversary International Medical Congress, Sri Lanka Medical Association (2021)
- Ashani De Silva, J Indrakumar, Nilanka Perera. Variables in the 4c mortality score in covid-19 patients to predict in-hospital mortality and in-hospital deterioration: Sri lankan experience. Proceedings of the 54th Annual Academic sessions, CCP, Sri Lanka (2021).
- Chandimani M Undugodage, Upul Dissanayake, PG Kumara, Bodhika Samarasekera, Lakmini Yapa, Osanda Chathuranga Dissanayake, Daminda Domingoarachchi, Dilshan Priyankara, Kanishka Seneviratne, Ranjan Ganagama, WK Wickramasinghe, Samiddhi Samarakoon, KDP Wijesinghe, WMUS Wijemanne, UHC Sandaruwan, Rajalingam Niranjan, Priyantha DK Illeperuma, HPM Thenuwara, GA Amashakya, Hasarah Dakshi Dasanayake, DASC Jayasooriya, BS Kalubandara, MDDNC Madurawala, Thushanthy Prasath, Nilanka Perera. Reactogenicity following the first dose of chadox1 ncov-19 vaccine against SARS-COv-2: a multicenter observational study, Proceedings of the 54th Annual Academic sessions, CCP, Sri Lanka (2021).
- G N D Perera, J Indrakumar, V Fernando, W Abeysinghe, M Samarawickrama, J S Lawrence. Ischaemic heart disease in females: Is it a different entity? Proceedings of the 47th Annual Academic sessions, CCP. Sri Lanka (2014). OP 09.
- T Prasath, G N D Perera, D U S Ratnapala, L U Kuruppu, F G Sivagnanam, S B Gunatilake. Dexamathazone to prevent dengue complications: does it work? Proceedings of 127th International Medical Congress, Sri Lanka Medical Association, Sri Lanka (2014). PP 29.
- K Bandara, M Weerasekera, C Gunasekera, N Ranasinghe, C Marasinghe, N Perera, A Gunapala, T Liyanarachchi, P Jayalath, N Fernando, M Nanayakkara. Leptospirosis: clinical profile and outcome in critical care settings in Sri Lanka. Proceedings of the scientific sessions, Faculty of Critical care, Sri Lanka (2014).
- G N D Perera, K M Bandara, I Ranasinghe, S B Gunatilake. Comparison of risk factors, severity and outcome between Lacunar and non-Lacunar stroke. Proceedings of the 7th Annual Scientific sessions, ASN. Sri Lanka (2013).
- S B Gunatilake, G N D Perera, K M Bandara, A U Pathirana, A G S Asiri, M T M Riffsy. Demographic factors and patient characteristics in Parkinson disease: An observational study. Proceedings of the 7th Annual Scientific sessions, ASN. Sri Lanka (2013).
- S B Gunatilake, G N D Perera, K M Bandara, A U Pathirana, A G S Asiri, M T M Riffsy. Medication profile of Parkinson disease patients in a developing country. Proceedings of the 7th Annual Scientific sessions, ASN. Sri Lanka (2013).
- I R Ranasinghe, K M Bandara, A R Perera, G N D Perera, S B Gunatilake. A Hospital based stroke registry from Colombo South Teaching hospital. Proceedings of the 7th Annual Scientific sessions, ASN. Sri Lanka (2013).
- K M Bandara, G N D Perera, S B Gunatilake. One month outcome of First ever stroke patients in a tertiary care hospital in Sri Lanka. Proceedings of the 7th Annual Scientific sessions, ASN. Sri Lanka (2013).
Research collaboration with Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford
- 2014 - Dr E.M.Wijerama award for the best oral presentation at the 47th Annual Academic sessions, CCP, Sri Lanka.
- 2017 - Presidents’ award for Scientific research
- 2021 - Best oral presentation at the Annual scientific sessions, “SIMCON 2021” organized by Sri Lanka College of Internal Medicine, Sri Lanka
Other Faculties of University of Sri Jayewardenepura
- Faculty of Allied Health Sciences