Dr. Chamarika Jayanetti Weerasekera
Department of Parasitology
Office - +94 11 2758682
Mobile - +94 77 1615678
- MBBS / 2014 / University of Sri Jayewardenepura / Sri Lanka
- PG Dip (Med Micro) / 2019 / University of Colombo / Sri Lanka
Postgraduate Degrees Currently Registered
- MD in Medical Parasitology / University of Colombo / Sri Lanka
- Fully registered with the Sri Lanka Medical Council since 27th November 2015
- Certified teacher in higher education
Memberships in Professional Organizations
- Sri Lanka college of microbiologists life member
- Sri Lanka Medical Association life member
- Medical Parasitology
- Parasitic diseases among immunosuppressed
ORCID ID and Link
Google Scholar Link
Research Gate Link
Research Grants Held
- Survey on the prevalence of human strongyloidiasis among immunodeficient patients attending selected hospitals in Sri Lanka (molecular study component). Research Grant by the Department of Control of Neglected Tropical Diseases of the World Health Organization. WHO registration no 2022/1205902-0 ; Purchase order no – 202805354
Publications and Scientific Communications
Full Text Publications
- Weerasekera C J, Fernando SD. Chemoprophylaxis for malaria: A Sri Lankan perspective- Review article. Annual Bulletin of the Sri Lanka College of Microbiologists 2020. Volume 18. Issue 1. Pages 50-53. ISSN 1391-930X
- Fernando, D., Weerasekera, C. J., Gunasekera, W. M. K. T. A. W., Hapuarachchi, H. C., Koo, C., Munas, M., & Ranaweera, P. (2020). Case Report: The First Case of Genotypically Confirmed Plasmodium falciparum Kelch 13 Propeller Mutation in Sri Lanka and Its Implications on the Elimination Status of Malaria. The American journal of tropical medicine and hygiene, 104(3), 964–967. https://doi.org/10.4269/ajtmh.20-1310
- Weerasekera C J, De Silva N L, Yahathugoda T C. Implications of cutaneous larva migrans and its management in a patient with coexisting filarial lymphoedema in Southern Sri Lanka- Case Report. Annual Bulletin of the Sri Lanka College of Microbiologists 2021. Volume 19. Issue 1. Pages 57-59. ISSN 1391-930X
- Weerasekera, C.J., Hapuachchige, C., Wijeratne, Y.M.T.Y., Goonesinghe, R., Wickremasinghe, D.R., Yahathugoda, T.C. and Ranasinghe, S., 2021. Omental dirofilariasis caused by Dirofilaria repens; visceralisation in a patient with diabetes mellitus. Journal of the Ceylon College of Physicians, 52(2), pp.105–108. DOI: http://doi.org/10.4038/jccp.v52i2.7936
Abstracts- Poster Presentations
- Fernando, D., Weerasekera, C. J., Gunasekera, W. M. K. T. A. W., Hapuarachchi, H. C., Koo, C., Vitharana H, Munas, M. The first genotypically confirmed case of artemisinin resistant malaria in Sri Lanka. Ceylon College of Physicians. Annual Conference 2020.
- Muzrif MM, Mendis KN, Weerasekera CJ, Karunaratne S, Wickremasinghe R, Ranaweera KNDP, Fernando SD. Chemoprophylaxis for malaria: A costly approach to prevent re-establishment of malaria in Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka Medical Association - 134th Anniversary International Medical Congress 2021.
- Weerasekera, C.J., Hapuachchige, C., Wijeratne, Y.M.T.Y., Goonesinghe, R., Wickremasinghe, D.R., Yahathugoda, T.C. and Ranasinghe, S. Omental dirofilariasis in a patient with diabetes mellitus in Sri Lanka; likely visceralisation in a patient with diabetes mellitus. International Conference of Health Sciences, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Sri Jayewardenepura 2021.
- Weerasekera CJ, Menike CW, Seneviratne SAA, Perera GND, de Silva NR, Wickremasinghe DR. Incidental diagnosis of strongyloidiasis in a patient with hepatic metastasis: A report of a missed case at the time of a pandemic. Sri Lanka College of Oncologists- Annual Academic Sessions 2021.
- Weerasekera CJ, Menike CW, Anpahalan JP, Jayathilake DCC, Somawardana UABP, Perera N, de Silva NR, Wickremasinghe DR. The presence of intestinal strongyloidiasis among immunocompromised patients admitted in selected hospitals in Sri Lanka – a preliminary report. 135th International Medical Congress by the Sri Lanka Medical Association.
- Weerasekera CJ, Menike CW, Jayathilake DCC, Somawardana UABP, Perera N, de Silva NR, Wickremasinghe DR. The presence of intestinal strongyloidiasis among patients with haematological malignancies– is it positively negative? 17th SAARC Federation of Oncologists (SFO) International Cancer Conference & Sri Lanka College of Oncologists Annual Academic Sessions 2022
- Weerasekera CJ. Toxocariasis- A neglected disease. SLMA NEWS +, September 2021, Volume 14. Issue 9. Pages 13-15. ISSN: 1800-4016 (Printed). eISSN: 2550-2778 (ONLINE)
- Research Awards 2020 from the University of Sri Jayewardenepura for scientific publications in Science Citations Index Expanded journals.
Other Faculties of University of Sri Jayewardenepura
- Faculty of Allied Health Sciences