Dr. T.D. Jayasena Kaluarachchi
Senior Lecturer Grade II
Department of Parasitology
Office - +94 11 2758679
Mobile - +94 77 5146021
- MBBS / 2014 / University of Sri Jayewardenepura / Sri Lanka
- PhD in Medical Parasitology / 2022 / University of Sri Jayewardenepura / Sri Lanka
- July 2022 - Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Parasitology July 2022. Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of SriJayewardenepura, Sri Lanka.
- April 2019 - Certificate course in Teaching in Higher Education conducted by the Staff Development Centre, University ofSri Jayewardenepura, Sri Lanka.
- October 2018 - Certificate course in Fluorescence microscopy Fluo-Micro@ICGEB conducted by the International Center forGenetic Engineering and Biotechnology, Trieste, Italy.
- July 2018 - Certificate course in Research Methodology and Scientific Writing conducted by Faculty of Graduate Studies,University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Sri Lanka.
- January 2014 - Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Faculty of MedicalSciences, Sri Lanka.
Memberships in Professional Organizations
- Fully registered with the Sri Lanka Medical Council (33168).
- Registered life member at Sri Lanka Medical Association (L/4428/3).
- Life Member, Sri Lanka College of Microbiologists, No. 6, Wijerama House, Wijerama mawatha, Colombo 07, Sri Lanka (September 2022 – Present ).
- Life Member, Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science, 120, 10 Vidya Mawatha, Colombo 07, Sri Lanka (September 2022 – Present ).
- Gold medal for "Excellence in Research " 2022 - PhD.
- Training Scholarship (OSTP/2018/32) awarded by the National Science Foundation, Ministry of Science, Sri Lanka for attending the certificate course in Fluorescence microscopy Fluo- Micro@ICGEB conducted by the International Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, Trieste, Italy.
- Medical Parasitology
- Medical Parasitology
ORCID ID and Link
Google Scholar Link
Research Gate Link
Publications and Scientific Communications
Full Journal Articles
- Kaluarachchi TDJ, Campbell PM, Wickremasinghe R, Ranasinghe S, Yasewardene S, De Silva H, McBain AJ, Weerasekera M. Possible clinical implications and future directions of managing bacterial biofilms in cutaneous leishmaniasis wounds. Trop Med Health. 2022 Aug 26;50(1):58. doi: 10.1186/s41182-022-00455-y. PMID: 36028889; PMCID: PMC9414163.
- D. Jayasena Kaluarachchi, Paul M. Campbell, Rajitha Wickremasinghe, Shalindra Ranasinghe, Renu Wickremasinghe, Surangi Yasawardene, Hiromel De Silva, Chandrani Menike, M. C. K. Jayarathne, Subodha Jayathilake, Ayomi Dilhari, Andrew J. McBain & Manjula M. Weerasekera. Distinct microbiome profiles and biofilms in Leishmania donovani-driven cutaneous leishmaniasis wounds. Scientific Reports. 2021 November 30; 11, 23181 (2021).
- Jayasena Kaluarachchi T, Wickremasinghe R, Weerasekera M, Yasawardene S, McBain AJ, Yapa B, De Silva H, Menike C, Jayathilake S, Munasinghe A, Wickremasinghe R. Diagnosing human cutaneous leishmaniasis using fluorescence in situ hybridization. Pathogens and Global Health. 2021 Mar 10:1-8.
- Jayasena Kaluarachchi TD, Weerasekera MM, McBain AJ, Ranasinghe S, Wickremasinghe R, Yasawardene S, Jayanetti N, Wickremasinghe R. Diagnosing cutaneous leishmaniasis using fluorescence in situ hybridization: the Sri Lankan perspective. Pathogens and global health. 2019 May 19;113(4):180-90.
- Hasitha A Tisseraa, Dinindu P Kaluarachchia, Thilini D Jayasena, Ananda Amarasinghea, Aravinda M de Silvab, Buddika Weerakoona, Sunethra Gunasenac, Jayantha S D K Weeramana, Duane Gublerd, Annelies Wilder-Smithe, Paba Palihawadanaa “Evaluation of sensitivity and specificity of commercially available dengue rapid test kit in two hospitals in Colombo, Sri Lanka” 2014 World Health Organization, Dengue Bulletin, Volume 38.
- Jayasena Kaluarachchi TD, Campbell PM, Ranasinghe PHKIS, Wickremasinghe R, Yasewardene S, De Silva VH, Menike C, McBain AJ & Weerasekera MM “Evidence of bacterial biofilms in ulcerated cutaneous leishmaniasis wounds” – Oral Presentation, Ceylon College of Physicians – 55th Annual Academic Sessions, 2022.
- Jayasena Kaluarachchi TD, McBain AJ, Wickremasinghe R, Yasawardene S, Menike C, Jayathilake S, Ranasinghe S, Weerasekera MM. “Development of a porcine skin model for the assessment of bacterial biofilms” - Oral Presentation, 29th Annual Scientific Sessions of the Sri Lanka College of Microbiologists (SLCM), Sri Lanka, 2020.
- D. Jayasena Kaluarachchi, M. M. Weerasekera, R. Wickramasinghe, S. Yasawardene, C. Menike, S. Jayathilake, S. Ranasinghe. “Fluorescence in situ Hybridization Assay to Diagnose Cutaneous Leishmaniasis in Sri Lanka” - Poster Presentation, American Society of Microbiology (ASM) microbe 2020.
- Jayasena Kaluarachchi TD, Weerasekera MM, Wickramasinghe R, Yapa PBDL, De Silva VH, Yasawardene SG, Menike C, Ranasinghe S. “Detection of leishmania donovani promastigotes in culture by fluorescence in situ hybridization; a preliminary study” - Poster presentation, 52nd Anniversary Academic Sessions of the Ceylon College of Physicians, Sri Lanka, 2019.
- Jayasena Kaluarachchi TD, Weerasekera MM, Ranasinghe PHKIS, Yapa PBDL, De Silva VH, Yasawardene SG, Menike C, Wickramasinghe R. “Clinico-demographic characterization of Cutaneous leishmaniasis in patients reporting to two hospitals in Matara and Hambantota districts, Sri Lanka” - Oral presentation, International Conference of Health Sciences 2019, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Sri Jayewardenepura, 2019.
- Kaluarachchi DP, Jayasena TD, Tissera HA, Weeraman J, Amarasinghe A, Premajayantha C “Comparison of standard dengue laboratory test results and dengue combo rapid test kit performances among febrile patients at two different hospitals in Colombo, Sri Lanka” – Oral presentation, Ceylon College of Physicians 47th Annual Academic Sessions, 2014.
- TC Muthkuda, DP Kaluarachchi, KV Ruwanpura, TD Jayasena, HM Janaka, AS Ambagahawita, DHK Wickramarathne, N Jayasekara Wickramasinghe, WCD Botheju, J Weeraman, H Tissera “Descriptive overview of dengue suspected paediatric patients presenting with Respiratory and/or Gastrointestinal symptoms” – Oral Presentation, International Medical Congress of The Sri Lanka Medical Association, 2014.
- TC Muthkuda, TD Jayasena, KV Ruwanpura, DP Kaluarachchi, HM Janaka, DHK Wickramarathne, N Jayasekara Wickramasinghe, AS Ambagahawita, WCD Botheju, J Weeraman, H Tissera “Percentage of dengue suspected paediatric patients who had been treated with NSIADs, steroids and antibiotics” – Poster presentation, International Medical Congress of The Sri Lanka Medical Association, 2014.
- April 2021 - Research awards-2019 in recognition of publishing full papers in Science Citation Index Juornals.
- October 2019 - Session’s best oral presentation award at the International conference on Health Sciences 2019, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Sri Lanka.
- September 2022 - Dr. W. A. S. De Silva award for the best paper on Tropical Diseases 2022 at Annual academic sessions 2022, Ceylon College of Physicians, Sri Lanka.
Other Faculties of University of Sri Jayewardenepura
- Faculty of Allied Health Sciences
- Institute of Chemistry Ceylon